- Presented to ES for tachypnea for three weeks.
- rDVM treating for shoulder pain; not responding to NSAID.
- Had a previous history of antibiotic responsive pneumonia the year before that responded to broad spectrum antibiotics.
1 / 7
- Diffuse unstructured interstitial lung pattern.
- Overall increase in HU of the lungs throughout.
- Infectious – Pneumocystis
- Primary inflammatory – Interstitial pneumonias (fibrosis, EP, silicosis), inhaled toxin
- Neoplastic – Interstitial lymphoma
- Pneumocystis positive (visualized organisms on bronchoalveolar lavage and positive PCR).
- IgG quantification consistent with breed associated IgG deficiency.
- Responded well to appropriate therapy (TMS).
- Opportunistic fungal infection of the immunocompromised.
- Breed predilection: Dachshunds and King Cavaliers.
- Selective defect in IgG production.
- Imaging and clinical signs can be severe without development of a fever.
Watson PJ, Wotton P, Eastwood J, et al. J Vet Intern Med 2006;20:523-27.
1 / 2