EDI Certifying examination for ACVR-DI Diplomates
As the EDI specialty is forming ACVR-DI Diplomates that have obtained their Diplomate status on or before 2023 are eligible to take the EDI Certifying examination. After this time anyone wishing to become and EDI Diplomate will be required to complete an EDI residency program.
The ACVR-EDI Certifying Examination is a case-based examination delivered online. Candidates are presented with a series of cases covering a range of, anatomy, pathology, and imaging modalities, each case comprising a summary of the history and clinical signs, and diagnostic images as stills or videos. Candidates are required to list their observations and synthesize a diagnosis or ranked list of differential diagnoses. The marking scheme rewards candidates able to identify the major abnormalities, recognize their pathological significance, and express the likely relationship between the imaging and reported clinical findings.
Until 2021 the Certifying Examination for existing diplomates will comprise 40 cases (distributed based on the content outline) given in two 3.5 hour sessions.
In 2022 the Certifying Examination will be available to current diplomates as well as EDI residency trained candidates. The format will be 72 cases given in four 3 hour sessions.
See the scoring rubric on the Applications/Downloads page.
Examination Cut Score and Scoring
The Radiology Certifying Examination is also a criterion-referenced examination (see above). This simply means that examinees are measured against an absolute standard of minimum competency, and not based on the performance of others taking the examination. This minimum competency standard, also known as the “cut score”, is developed from the following steps.
- Items to be used on the examination are selected based on the content outline and examination specifications.
- Examination questions will be graded by at least 2 Examiners in a blinded manner using the scoring rubric. Additional examiners will be used to score questions in the event there is disparity with the initial scores.
Names of candidates who pass the Certifying Examination are referred to the ACVR Executive Council, upon which a majority vote of approval will confer Diplomate status upon successful candidates.
Failing candidates will receive a letter from the Chair of the Examination Committee detailing specific areas of weakness and strengths to aid in their preparation for the next examination.
Due to the ongoing health concerns and travel restrictions the 2020 Certifying Examinations will be held remotely. The ACVR has done everything possible to ensure a fair, secure, and smooth exam administration.
EDI Early Date – November 17th, 2020
EDI Regular date – December 1st, 2020
Please note that this examination is for those that applied for the August administration that was delayed. A second administration is being planned for early 20201 pending the outcome of this remote administration.
In the event that the first exam does not go as tested and planned the examinations will be further postponed
Remote proctoring form and instructions:
Please complete this form. You will complete the first section as the candidate and then the form will be e-mailed to the proctor you identify for completion of shipping address and confirmation they can provide this service.
Deadline: October 15, 2020
Certifying Examination Schedule
|EDI Session 1||EDI session 2|
|AT||12:00 PM||4:30 PM|
|ET||11:00 AM||1 hour break||3:30 PM|
|CT||10:00 AM||2:30 PM|
|MT||9:00 AM||1:30 PM|
|PT||8:00 AM||12:30 PM|
- Contact Stephanie Nykamp, Examination Director <[email protected]> with any questions.
2021 Equine Diagnostic Imaging CERTIFYING EXAMINATION
- Pending the outcome of the remotely administered August 2020 exam (to be held in December) and/or ability to travel a second administration will be held in March/April of 2021.
- The regularly scheduled 2021 Certifying examination will be held at the end of August (date pending confirmation of site availability)
- The current plan is to offer this examination in person at the Oquendo Centre
- This registration form can be used for both exams listed above.
- Registration form
- Due date: January 31, 2021