Pet Owners

Involvement of an ACVR radiologist and radiation oncologist in the diagnostic imaging and radiation therapy planning of your pet assures optimal care

Do I need an ACVR Specialist?

  • Advances in animal health care have led to a wider variety of highly specialized imaging procedures using radiology, ultrasound (US), computed tomography (CT), nuclear medicine (NM), and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). In addition, highly sophisticated radiation oncology procedures are utilized to treat cancer.
  • American College of Veterinary Radiology (ACVR) board certified radiologists spend at least three years after achieving their veterinary medical degree (DVM or VMD) focusing strictly on the application of these imaging modalities to determine a diagnosis.
    • ACVR-DI (General Diagnostic Imaging) specialists work with all species.
    • ACVR-EDI (Equine Diagnostic Imaging) specialists focus on horses.
    • ACVR-RO (Radiation Oncology) specialists spend at least 2 additional years after their veterinary medical degree (DVM or VMD) in radiation oncology training to become board certified.
    • Some ACVR Diplomates are dual boarded in both Radiology (Diagnostic Imaging) and Radiation Oncology (Radiation Therapy). Many ACVR-DI radiologists are dual boarded in ACVR-EDI.
  • The concentrated training in radiology and/or radiation oncology allows the ACVR Veterinary Radiologist or Radiation Oncologist to keep current with frequent advances in noninvasive diagnostic imaging and radiotherapy procedures.
  • Ask your veterinarian if the imaging or radiotherapy procedures require a specialist.


Important Questions to Ask Your Veterinarian

  • Has an ACVR board certified radiologist been consulted about the best type of specialized nonivasive imaging procedure for your pet?
  • If your pet needs radiation therapy, has an ACVR board certified radiation oncologist been consulted about the prognosis and treatment plan?
  • Will the specialized imaging procedure be performed and/or interpreted by an ACVR board-certified radiologist? Will the radiologist perform the image-guided biopsies if they are required? If your pet needs radiation therapy, will the treatment be performed by an ACVR board certified radiation oncologist?


Frequently Asked Questions

See FAQ for more information pertaining to pet owners

See FAQ-EDI for more information specific to the recently adopted Equine Diagnostic Imaging (ACVR-EDI) specialty