Resident Author Award for Manuscripts Accepted to Veterinary Radiology & Ultrasound
Guidelines for the Resident Author Award
Policies and Procedures (approved by ACVR Executive Council, April 2021)
1. Submissions to be considered for the ACVR Resident Author Award need to be Original Investigation manuscripts accepted for publication in Veterinary Radiology & Ultrasound (VRU). Residents wishing to have their papers considered for the award must indicate this at the time the paper is submitted for publication. The paper may be submitted at any time during an approved veterinary specialty residency program. Papers submitted after completion of the residency program will also be considered, providing they describe work done during the residency program and are received within 6 months of completion of the residency program.
2. The mentoring author for the resident’s paper must be a Diplomate of an approved veterinary specialty organization and the mentoring author must be listed as the corresponding author for the manuscript submission.
3. The competition is open to residents in any approved veterinary specialty residency program for all disciplines throughout the world.
4. Papers meeting the above requirements and that were accepted during the “award year” will be included in the competition. The “award year” will be from April 1 through March 31.
5. At the conclusion of the award year, all papers submitted for consideration must also have been accepted for publication before being sent to VRU Associate Editors. If a paper submitted for consideration has not been accepted for publication at the conclusion of the award year, it will be eligible for consideration the following year providing these requirements are subsequently met.
6. Associate Editors will independently evaluate the blinded, first submission versions of the papers based on the following parameters: 1) originality/novelty, 2) significance/ importance, 3) scientific quality/ hypothesis/ experimental design, 4) interest for VRU readers, 5) composition/clarity/organization, and 6) adherence to VRU author guidelines.
7. The Associate Editors will forward their evaluations of the papers to the Editor by May 5 of each year. In the event of a tie, the Editor will cast the deciding vote. The Associate Editors will not automatically recommend that awards be given each year. Naming awardees will depend upon submitted manuscripts being of exemplary quality.
8. Up to 3 awardees per year may be selected, one for each of the following categories: diagnostic imaging (non- equine), radiation oncology, and equine diagnostic imaging. Awardees will be announced at the annual meeting of the American College of Veterinary Radiology and each will receive a plaque and an honorarium of $ 500.00. Award-winning papers will be made freely accessible and recognized as such on the VRU website.